The Best Diet Plans of 2022
Join the countless satisfied shoppers who turn to ConsumerRating.org to make smart buying decisions. Our experts tested and compared top diet plans, and combed through research, reviews and pricing to compile our list of the best diet plans.
Last Updated August 2022
- Dietitian-designed diet plans backed by science
- Pre-portioned meals & snacks delivered to you
- Customizable menu; 150+ foods to choose from
- Free tracking app & on-demand weight loss coaching
- Specialized plans—men, women, diabetes-friendly
- Free shipping & money back guarantee
Save 50% or More On All Plans
- App-based weight loss program rooted in psychology
- Guides behavioral change for sustained weight loss
- Personalized healthy weight & diabetes programs
- Dedicated health coach & virtual support group
- Includes pedometer & health log
- Free trial & cancel your subscription anytime
Free 14 Day Trial
- Dietitian-designed plans, chef-crafted meals
- Pre-portioned, calorie-controlled meals delivered
- Customizable menus, unlimited substitutions
- 4 meal plans, including keto, diabetes & vegetarian
- Skip a week or cancel your subscription anytime
- Satisfaction guaranteed
25% Off The First Week
- Cash-based challenges to help incentivize users to lose weight
- Enter goal weight, put up a wager, and calculate your winnings
- Increase winnings by adjusting goal weight, wager, and time to reach goal
- Weekly weigh-ins & support from contestants help you stay on track
- Featured on CNN, New York Times, Shape, & More
- First wellness app designed specifically for adults 50+
- On average members lose ~15 lbs in their first 3 months
- Each member is given a dedicated health coach
- Evidence-backed developed by a research team of top doctors
- Personalized fitness and nutrition plans
- Cancel anytime
7-Day Free Trial
Diet Plan FAQs
Although there’s no one-size-fits all weight loss plan, ultimately, a good diet plan is one that enables you to reach your weight loss goals in a sustainable way, without depriving you of the nutrients your body needs.
A good diet plan, for instance, won’t eliminate entire food groups or macronutrients (think protein, fats and carbs), and won’t cut so many calories that you feel like you’re constantly at risk of either passing out or plunging head-first into the pantry in a “moment of weakness.” Instead, a good diet plan will include a balance of macronutrients, and encourage a variety of foods to ensure that all of your micronutrient (a fancy word for vitamins and minerals) are met. A diet rich in vegetables and fruits, lean proteins, healthy fats and complex, fiber-rich carbs can deliver all the nutrients you need without piling on the pounds. And by keeping processed foods that are high in sodium, sugar, fat and calories to a minimum, a good diet plan will be an investment in your health as much as it is a means to weight loss.
Of course, there are other considerations when choosing a diet plan. Price, convenience, meal delivery, trial periods, cancellation policies—these are all factors you should think about. It’s worth putting some thought into which of these aspects matter most to you before committing to a plan.
Once you’ve decided what’s most important to you, take a look at our list of top rated diet plans to choose a good diet plan for you. We’ve included meal delivery diet plans for those who like the convenience of having prepared meals and snacks delivered to their door, and DIY diet plans like Noom, which provide guidance for preparing your own meals. We deliberately chose a variety because ultimately, choosing a good diet plan is personal—and the best diet plan will always be the one you will stick to.
It’s possible to lose 10 pounds in one week if your starting weight is high enough and you deprive yourself enough. But the research suggests that people who lose weight gradually and steadily (about one to two pounds a week) are more successful at keeping it off. So, be wary of any weight loss plan that claims to be a “diet plan to lose weight fast,” and instead choose a meal plan for weight loss that promises steady results and teaches healthy habits to keep the weight off for good.
While exercise can certainly help speed up your weight loss, improve your muscle tone and even in some cases, give your metabolism a boost, studies suggest that physical activity alone isn’t as effective as following a weight loss diet. For optimal results (and health!) pair your diet plan with a mix of both cardio and resistance training.